SWEETNESS: NOM Rally Against Marriage Equality Flops
A dying cause is gasping for breath!
Yesterday, the National Organization for Marriage held its long-heralded Marriage March and rally to oppose same-sex marriage on the National Mall. A litany of speakers reiterated claims about children’s need for one mother and one father, but the event largely failed to amass a wide coalition. NOM’s Thomas Peters claimed there were 15,000 attendees, while […] others claimed only 2,000.
Ironically, the rally was held one year to the day since NOM’s memo leaked revealing its intention to “drive a wedge” between the gay community and people of color, particularly by featuring people of color at their rallies and highlighting — i.e. overemphasizing — their visibility. The Marriage March exemplified that these efforts have not subsided in the least.
- NOM’s Rally Against Marriage Equality Failed To Attract Wide Support (thinkprogress.org)
- BYU students to rally in support of same-sex marriage (fox13now.com)
- Red White and Blue is for ALL as LGBT Americans prepare Marriage Rally Signs for SCOTUS (dailyqueernews.wordpress.com)
- Things Got Wild At The Gay Marriage Rally [PHOTOS] (businessinsider.com)
- More Great Signs From The Supreme Court Marriage Equality Rallies (thinkprogress.org)
- At Harvard and Beyond, Activists Show Support for Marriage Equality (thecrimson.com)
- Gay Tea Party Patriot speaks at NOM Rally, which is akin to Al Sharpton speaking at a KKK rally (freakoutnation.com)
- Anti-Marriage Equality Bishop: ‘Sexual Abuse Does Not Happen’ In Straight Marriages (thinkprogress.org)
- Foes and Proponents of Gay Marriage Demonstrate Outside Court (pjmedia.com)
- Right-Wing Anti-Marriage Rally Sparsely Attended (alternet.org)