Gingrich Gave $150K Via Hate Group to Punish Iowa Justices
Anti-Gay advocate Newt Gingrich apparently will stop at nothing to insure his view is enforced. The SPLC reports he donated $150k to the American Family Association to help oust three Iowa Supreme Court Justices who voted for marriage equality in their state. Newt used a nonprofit group he started ReAL Action to funnel the money to the SPLC identified hate group American Family Association (AFA). The AFA used their money and media to continue their assault on the LGBT community and the justices in Iowa.
The AFA is well known for their regular false pseudo-science and propaganda demonizing LGBT Americans even going so far as to claim gays were responsible for the Holocaust (even though 50k LGBT were victims).
This site reported in February that Newt, a proponent of what he calls traditional marriage has often strayed from his own morals:
Newt Gingrich cite’s ‘tradition’ as his reason to not support equal marriage. I wonder if a man with such high ‘traditional’ values would value the opinion of a man who:
1. someone who as Speaker of the House was the first to be reprimanded with a $300,000 dollar fine for “providing the committee with information which he knew or should have known was inaccurate” in regards to the use of tax exempt college course for a political agenda.
2. Was traditionally married 3 separate times since 1962. The first divorce the result of an affair, but that didn’t keep the man from stopping by the hospital where his wife was recovering from cancer surgery to discuss the divorce. Not learning his unholy lesson the first time, the man was divorced a second time due to… any guesses? That’s right kids, adultery again!
Of course this ‘man’ is Newt himself. Newt, before you hop on the traditional bandwagon, perhaps you should refer to Deuteronomy and the penalties God put in place for adultery. If I’m not mistaken it’s ‘death’. Yet you, who God sentences to death for your acts casts judgement on who should marry?
via Release Dorothy!
The SPLC released this about Newt’s funding:
A nonprofit group led by former Republican House Speaker Newt Gingrich channeled $125,000 through a hard-line anti-gay organization to support a 2010 campaign to oust three Iowa Supreme Court justices who voted to legalize same-sex marriage in that state, The Associated Press (AP) reported Tuesday. The donation to the American Family Association (AFA), which was designated a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) earlier this year, was part of a total of $350,000 Gingrich reportedly helped steer to Iowa for Freedom, which led the successful campaign against the justices, the only ones on the court who were up for reelection.
The SPLC lists AFA as a hate group principally because of its regular use of false propaganda to demonize gays and lesbians. Especially remarkable are the views expressed by Bryan Fischer, its shrill director of issue analysis for government and policy. Fischer has proposed criminalizing homosexual behavior, advocated forcing gays into “reparative” therapy, and claimed gays were responsible for the Holocaust.
The story of Gingrich’s below-the-radar assistance to Iowa for Freedom started to dribble out on March 3, when The Los Angeles Times reported that Gingrich helped the organization get its start, offering strategic advice and arranging a $200,000 gift from an anonymous donor. The remaining $150,000, the AP reported, was raised in the form of donations to Renewing American Leadership (ReAL), a nonprofit group Gingrich founded that promotes his books, TV appearances, and films. It was ReAL Action, an arm of ReAL, that reportedly gave $125,000 of that $150,000 to AFA Action, the political wing of AFA. The final $25,000 was given by ReAL Action to Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition. Both AFA Action and Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition then supported Iowa for Freedom’s efforts, the AP said.
- How Far Will Newt Go To Get Elected? (lezgetreal.com)
- Anti-Gay Hate Money Tied to Newt Gingrich Rises to $350,000 (towleroad.com)
- Newt Gingrich Funneled $350,000 to Anti-Gay Groups (slog.thestranger.com)
- Newt Gingrich sent $150,000 to oust Iowa justices (sfgate.com)
- Gingrich Helped Defeat Iowa Justices (politicalwire.com)
- Newt Gingrich Cements Ties To Religious Leaders (huffingtonpost.com)
- Gingrich sends $150K to Iowa through aide’s group (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Gingrich tries to influence Iowa gay marriage case (capitolhillblue.com)