Jewish Funds For Justice Group Call for Fox News to drop Glenn Beck
A protest was staged against rightwing talkshow host Glenn Beck today, calling for his immediate removal from Fox News.
The organisers, Jewish Funds for Justice (JFSJ), a charity that campaigns for social change, delivered a petition with 10,000 signatures.
In the wake of the Tucson shooting, the TV and radio personality has had to defend his record against accusations that he has whipped up hatred within the public discourse.
For a media figure who has been variously lambasted as a liar, buffoon, clown, bigot and racist Beck is no stranger to the vitriol that currently passes in America as public debate. In fact, he’s built a multimillion dollar empire out of it.
So the protest rally that was staged outside the News Corporation headquarters in New York today probably troubled him as much as water flowing off a duck’s back.
The petition was part of a groundswell of opinion that when it comes to Beck, arguably the most extreme of America’s multitude of rightwing talk hosts, enough is now enough.
Glenn Beck Sound Bites:
• Beck likens himself to Israeli Nazi hunters: “To the day I die, I am going to be a progressive hunter.” 20 January 2010
• Social justice is a “perversion of the Gospel, not what Jesus was saying”. 11 March 2010
• “Charles Darwin is the father of the Holocaust.” 20 August 2010
• “We have been sold a lie … that the poor in America are suffering.” November 20 2010
• Beck mocks President Obama’s daughter Malia and questions her “level of education”. He later apologises. 28 May 2010
• Uncle Sam is a “child molester” who is “raping our wallets … and destroying our families”. 16 April 2010
• Beck said the prime goal of his coverage of the midterm elections was to “make George Soros cry” which was hard to do as Soros “saw people into gas chambers”. 2 November 2010
• “Women are psychos”. 20 January 2010
• Putting the “common good” first is the kind of thing that “leads to death camps”. 28 May 2010
• “God will wash this nation with blood if he has to.” 25 August 2010
(As selected by the Jewish Funds For Justice)
- Glenn Beck passionately reviews Broadway’s ‘Spider-Man’: ‘This is better than Wicked!’ (popwatch.ew.com)
- Call for Fox News to drop Glenn Beck (3quarksdaily.com)
- PHOTO: Glenn Beck’s Website FAIL (huffingtonpost.com)
- Violent Rhetoric Can Lead to Tragedies Like Arizona Shooting (usnews.com)
- Media Matters Hires Leader Of ‘Stop Beck’ Movement To Ramp Up Campaign Against Fox News (huffingtonpost.com)