Founder’s Relative Asks Anti Defamation League to Condemn Palin’s Remarks
Geoff Livingston posted in his blog today an open letter requesting the Anti Defamation League condemn Sarah Palin’s remarks. Palin released a video trying to defend her cross-hair target website. Many in the media have asserted Palin’s actions and speech are possible incitements to Saturdays murders in Tuscon. Further putting white gas on the campfire, Palin remarked “journalists and pundits should not manufacture a blood libel that serves only to incite the very hatred and violence they purport to condemn. That is reprehensible.” According to Religious Tolerance website, Blood libel is a term used to define a “myth of Christian invention used to justify persecution of the Jews”. It’s important to note that Gabrielle Gifford is Jewish.
In 1144 CE, an unfounded rumor began in eastern England, that Jews had kidnapped a Christian child, tied him to a cross, stabbed his head to simulate Jesus’ crown of thorns, killed him, drained his body completely of blood, and mixed the blood into matzos (unleavened bread) at time of Passover. The rumor was started by a former Jew, Theobald, who had become a Christian monk. He said that Jewish representatives gathered each year in Narbonne, France. They decided in which city a Christian child would be sacrificed.
The boy involved in the year 1144 hoax became known as St. William of Norwich. Many people made pilgrimages to his tomb and claimed that miracles had resulted from appeals to St. William. The myth shows a complete lack of understanding of mainline Judaism. Aside from the prohibition of killing innocent persons, the Torah specifically forbids the drinking or eating of any form of blood in any quantity. However, reality never has had much of an impact on blood libel myths. This rumor lasted for many centuries; even today it has not completely disappeared. 1
Pope Innocent IV ordered a study in 1247 CE. His investigators found that the myth was a Christian invention used to justify persecution of the Jews
Below is Geoff’s Open Letter:
Open Letter Sent to Anti Defamation League About Sarah Palin
January 12, 2011
To Whom It May Concern:
I am the great great nephew of Sigmund Livingston, your founder, and a blogger at geofflivingston.com. It’s my request as a descendant of Sigmund and as a Jew that the Anti Defamation League (ADL) take swift and prompt action to condemn Sarah Palin’s remarks this morning against the media, in conjunction with the Arizona Shootings.
In her video speech, Ms. Palin directly used the words “Blood Libel” in blaming the media for associations with her during the shooting aftermath. The ensuing wave of antisemitism caused the words “Jews” and “Blood Libel” to trend on Twitter for hours, tens of thousands of people associating Jewish people with drinking children’s blood. Further, the association with Jews running the media cannot be ignored.
Ms. Palin continues to be irresponsible in her use of media to inspire hate. Today’s acts against the Jewish faith are no different. We must make a stand. You are the organization to do it. Please act swiftly.
Here’s Sarah’s video. Personally, I really don’t think Sarah meant any harm, either with her cross-hairs target site OR blood libel comment. I think she really is just that STUPID and niave. The best thing Sarah can do for her career is just SHUT UP! Former President Reagan had to roll over in his grave when she quoted him.
- Jewish Group Hits Back at Sarah Palin’s ‘Blood Libel’ [The Jews] (gawker.com)
- ‘Jews for Sarah’ Rally Around (thedailybeast.com)
- ADL Condemns Sarah Palin For “Blood Libel” Comment (alan.com)
- Palin’s Video: What Is “Blood Libel”? (time.com)
- Jewish advocacy group speaks out about Palin’s use of the term ‘blood libel’ (inquisitr.com)
- UPDATE 2-Palin’s ‘blood libel’ charge ignites US firestorm (reuters.com)
- Sarah Palin sticks to her guns after Arizona shootings and accuses her critics of ‘blood libel’ (guardian.co.uk)
- RT @family_equality: North Carolina lawmakers won’t publicly commit to ‘bathroom bill’ repeal lgbtqnation.com/2017/01/north-… via @lgbtqnation-- 2 months ago
- RT @richardhine: BREAKING: #SecondPlacePresident Trump hits majority disapproval in record time, Gallup finds fw.to/EIHjO7j-- 2 months ago
- RT @Jethro_Aryeh: Remember when she was the scariest candidate ever... #MSNBC #SNL https://t.co/usFp65oCYl-- 2 months ago
- SCOTUS Decision Allows GOP Voter Suppression Tactics — WERE-AM 1490 releasedorothy.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/sco… https://t.co/AZsx6Qwadt-- 7 months ago
- After NCAA, ACC Pull-Out Of North Carolina, Editorials Slam Gov. McCrory For Continued Support Of HB 2 releasedorothy.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/aft…-- 7 months ago
- Overnight app helps find a place to crash in the City releasedorothy.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/ove… https://t.co/ebSOw4SXpK-- 7 months ago
- 1 dead, 5 injured, including 2 officers, in Philadelphia attack — WTVR.com releasedorothy.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/1-d… https://t.co/1gOHKdA3Ah-- 7 months ago
- releasedorothy.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/3931 https://t.co/sfb3TyC1Hv-- 7 months ago
- Hate Preacher not wanted in South Africa releasedorothy.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/hat…-- 7 months ago
- Transgender Man Sues Gov. Mike Pence Over Indiana Immigration Law | Huffington Post releasedorothy.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/tra…-- 7 months ago
- SCOTUS Decision Allows GOP Voter Suppression Tactics — WERE-AM 1490
- After NCAA, ACC Pull-Out Of North Carolina, Editorials Slam Gov. McCrory For Continued Support Of HB 2
- Overnight app helps find a place to crash in the City
- 1 dead, 5 injured, including 2 officers, in Philadelphia attack — WTVR.com
- Beachside Bomb in Jersey
- Hate Preacher not wanted in South Africa
- Transgender Man Sues Gov. Mike Pence Over Indiana Immigration Law | Huffington Post
- Belfast Blocked for Gay Marriage!
- Gay life, Moscow, now: Just like Gay Life, London, 1970s, only with Apps!
- #DailyDose: Toronto World Pride
Archives by Month
All rights reserved. No part of the material protected by this copyright may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, broadcasting or by any other information storage and retrieval system without written permission from Release Dorothy! or it's Parent company.
Release Dorothy! and E Bradley's are the trademarks and service marks of E Bradley's LLC. registered in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. You shall not display, disparage, dilute or taint our trademarks and service marks or use any confusingly similar marks, or use our marks in such a way that would misrepresent the identity of the owner. Any permitted use of our trademarks and service marks inures to the benefit of E Bradley's LLC.
All other trademarks, service marks or registered trademarks appearing on these Release Dorothy! World Wide Web pages are the trademarks or service marks of their respective owners.
FAIR USE STATEMENT
This site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in an effort to advance understanding of political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. we believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
- 57,418 hits