Maryland Poised to Pass Gay Marriage Law
Bucking the highly publicized November trend of Republicans taking office, Maryland state legislature gained two additional Democrats (both favoring equal rights). The Governor, who prefers civil unions is also timidly supporting gay marriage if the legislature passes the measure. However, even if it’s passed, Maryland has a provision that can petition a new law to be reviewed and approved via voter ballot. Expect NOM, AFA and other hate groups as well as the Catholic church to force the issue to the voters if the measure is signed. Once again, hate groups and ‘Christians’ will fight with propaganda and money to sway voters in a state already in favor of gay marriage.
A majority of senators on a key committee in Maryland now favor legalizing same-sex marriage, making it increasingly likely that the state will join five others and the District in allowing such unions.
Membership changes on the panel, where same-sex marriage bills have previously died, are among a handful of shifts produced by last month’s elections. Collectively, they appear to have tipped the balance on the most high-profile social issue the General Assembly will consider during its upcoming 90-day session.
“This has truly been a transformative election on this issue,” said Sen. Richard S. Madaleno Jr. (D-Montgomery), an openly gay lawmaker who has sponsored same-sex marriage legislation and plans to push for passage this session. “I could not have hoped for a better result. You can see a real path to enacting this legislation.”
- A Message to Bishop Thomas Tobin: Gay Marriage Is Not Divisive (gayrights.change.org)
- Guarded Optimism For Maryland To Join Other States In Marriage Equality (lezgetreal.com)
- Equality Maryland Hires Lobbying Firm To Help In Marriage Equality Drive (lezgetreal.com)
- Illinois Lawmakers Approve Civil Union Legislation (nytimes.com)
- NM AG Opines That State Should Recognize Same-Sex Marriages From Other States (pinkbananaworld.com)
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- SCOTUS Decision Allows GOP Voter Suppression Tactics — WERE-AM 1490
- After NCAA, ACC Pull-Out Of North Carolina, Editorials Slam Gov. McCrory For Continued Support Of HB 2
- Overnight app helps find a place to crash in the City
- 1 dead, 5 injured, including 2 officers, in Philadelphia attack — WTVR.com
- Beachside Bomb in Jersey
- Hate Preacher not wanted in South Africa
- Transgender Man Sues Gov. Mike Pence Over Indiana Immigration Law | Huffington Post
- Belfast Blocked for Gay Marriage!
- Gay life, Moscow, now: Just like Gay Life, London, 1970s, only with Apps!
- #DailyDose: Toronto World Pride
Archives by Month
All rights reserved. No part of the material protected by this copyright may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, broadcasting or by any other information storage and retrieval system without written permission from Release Dorothy! or it's Parent company.
Release Dorothy! and E Bradley's are the trademarks and service marks of E Bradley's LLC. registered in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. You shall not display, disparage, dilute or taint our trademarks and service marks or use any confusingly similar marks, or use our marks in such a way that would misrepresent the identity of the owner. Any permitted use of our trademarks and service marks inures to the benefit of E Bradley's LLC.
All other trademarks, service marks or registered trademarks appearing on these Release Dorothy! World Wide Web pages are the trademarks or service marks of their respective owners.
FAIR USE STATEMENT
This site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in an effort to advance understanding of political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. we believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
- 57,421 hits