From San Francisco to New York the LGBT community and their friends are celebrating Gay Pride this weekend.
As wonderful as it is, there are so many rural areas of the country where there is no parade,no Pride flags hanging and no support groups rallying for equality. But that doesn’t mean the fight for equality is relegated to the cities.
Every one of us can and should carry the ideals of Pride to every corner of this great country. It’s each individual’s actions that carry those ideals forward. Whether you’re out and proud in small town America, act as a role model to others in the work place, or by just being yourself and changing the hearts and minds of neighbors, family and friends you advance the opportunity for equality.
The parades celebrate how far we have come but it’s up to each of us on a daily basis to continue to build a future for the next generation so they can live their lives without prejudice, without bullying and without fear of losing their jobs.
I’m constantly reminded and motivated by the words of Harvey Milk.
It takes no compromising to give people their rights. It takes no money to respect the individual. It takes no survey to remove repressions.
Now go… Go celebrate Pride in your own way, enjoy how far we’ve come and continue the daily fight for full equality!
December 16, 2005
CBOT to lay off 40
…On the same day that its share price fell by more than 4 percent,
the Chicago Board of Trade said Thursday it will lay off 40
people….The cutbacks affect about 5 percent of the exchange’s work
force and should be completed by Dec. 31, the exchange said after the
market’s close. CBOT President Bernard Dan said extensive spending on
technology made the jobs expendable.
- At Chicago Board of Trade: “We are the 1 percent” signs mocking Occupy Wall Street and Occupy Chicago protests (boingboing.net)
- Occupy Chicago Takes it to Chicago Board of Trade (newsworldwide.wordpress.com)
- Chicago Mercantile Exchange Protects Identity Of “WE ARE THE 1%” Sign Maker (brandtstandard.com)
WASHINGTON DC – Today, US Congressman Mike Honda (CA-15), Ranking Member of the House Legislative Branch Appropriations Subcommittee, sent a letter to the Subcommittee’s Chairman calling for a hearing to shine light on the House Republican Leadership’s irresponsible, backdoor use of taxpayer money to pay the private law firm Bancroft PLLC to represent the House in support of the constitutionally-questionable Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). After having Bancroft PLLC blow through the original cap of half a million dollars, the House Republican Leadership recently modified the contract, likely tripling the cost for the American taxpayer to $1.5 million. During a time of professed fiscal responsibility, the House Republican Leadership has chosen to continue to spend taxpayer money to protect discrimination through a process that has lacked any semblance of transparency.
- House Republicans ignore jobs bill while tripling funding for defense of anti-gay legislation (dailykos.com)
- DOMA Repeal Moves Forward In Senate (huffingtonpost.com)
- House Speaker John Boehner Triples DOMA Defense Budget (towleroad.com)
The Pentagon has ordered a halt to all separations of gay troops under “don’t ask, don’t tell” and will begin accepting applications from prospective recruits who identify themselves as homosexuals.
The moratorium issued Friday came after a ruling Wednesday by a federal appeals court in California ordering the Defense Department to immediately stop enforcing the law. The court said the law is unconstitutional because it treats gay Americans differently under the law.
Meanwhile, defense officials will continue to prepare for the law’s formal repeal, which Congress approved in December. The law will be formally repealed 60 days after the defense secretary and chairman of the Joint Chiefs “certify” that it will not adversely impact military readiness.
- Department of Defense Suspends DADT In Compliance With Court Ruling (lezgetreal.com)
- Handpicked News: Polygamy Next? Pentagon suspends DADT, Final Shuttle Launches (redbeardedoctopus.wordpress.com)
- Pentagon suspends Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell; gays now welcome to serve their country (dailykos.com)
- Court of Appeals 9th Circuit lifts stay, DADT again unenforceable (queerlandia.com)
- House Directs Pentagon To Uphold DOMA Law On Gay Marriage (huffingtonpost.com)
- House Passes Defense Bill That Slows DADT Repeal, Reaffirms Federal Gay Marriage Ban (huffingtonpost.com)
- Court Orders U.S. To Halt DADT Discharges (towleroad.com)
“Republican presidential contenders Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum have lined up behind a new pledge focused on social issues put forth by Bob Vander Plaats, a former candidate for governor who now reigns as a conservative kingmaker in the Hawkeye State. Vander Plaats heads the Iowa-based Family Leader, a conservative group. Signing “The Marriage Vow — A Declaration of Dependence Upon Marriage and Family” is a requirement for earning the organization’s endorsement. Standing behind the pledge entails supporting a “federal Marriage Amendment to the U.S. Constitution which protects the definition of marriage as between one man and one woman.” Among other things, it also means backing a ban on pornography.”
It’s virtually impossible to add any commentary here, when their bigoted actions speak for themselves.
God save America from the likes of Bachmann, Santorum and Vander Plaats.
- Rachel Maddow Delves Into Bachmann-Endorsed ‘Crackpot’ Iowa Anti-Porn Petition (mediaite.com)
- UPDATE: Santorum And Bachmann Pledge to Outlaw Gayness, Abortion, Porn (queerty.com)
- Bachmann, Santorum rush to sign marriage vow (iowacaucus.com)
- Michelle Bachmann is running for president on a pro-slavery, anti-porn platform? (baratunde.com)
- Bachmann signs anti-porn, anti-sharia pledge (salon.com)
- The Thread: Just Sign Here (opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Michele Bachmann First Candidate To Sign Pledge To Ban Porn And Same-Sex Marriage (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Bachmann’s Wacky Porn Pledge (thedailybeast.com)
- Michele & Marcus Bachmann: More & More Questions (bilerico.com)
Just like cavemen, Jon and the Republican party are trying to evolve (well, whenever it’s politically advantageous to do so…).
[Jon]Huntsman has voiced his support for civil unions and other equality measures such as non-discrimination protections for members of the LGBT community. However, he has not gone so far as to endorse full marriage equality and he supported a 2004 measure that added an amendment to the Utah constitution banning same-sex marriages.
“I am where I am on civil unions. Some will like it. Some will not … We have not done an adequate job in terms of equality and fairness where it comes to reciprocal beneficiary rights,” Huntsman told talk-show host Sean Hannity.
As public opinion sways toward supporting pro-LGBT legislation, more and more Republicans are coming out in support of civil unions, non-discrimination laws and a more equal taxing structure, Clarke Cooper, the executive director of the Log Cabin Republicans, said.
Is America’s LGBT community ready to throw it’s weight behind a Mormon Republican whose ideals are ‘evolving’? And should we be?
In the Great State of Utah where morality is issued from a small one block section in the center of downtown Salt Lake City, Jon Huntsman was a moderate light at the end of a very dark tunnel for the LGBT community. He supported fair-mindedness. A virtue often unavailable in an extremist political and religious culture that permeates the local Utah mentality.
As a multi-billionaire Governor in a small state, Huntsman never did enough to advance the human rights of the LGBT community. He may have provided fair-minded rhetoric when politically advantageous, but he never put those dollars of his to work. There’s no LGBT Huntsman Center, or Huntsman Act for non-discrimination or marriage equality. This is a man who clearly had the political and financial clout to change the course of equal rights in this state, yet NEVER put his money where his mouth is…
As you begin forming opinions about candidates for President of this great country. It’s important to remember that we’re not a democracy. We’re a Republic. As such, you don’t vote for a man, you vote for a party. Put your vote and your dollars to a party who represents your rights and the rights of other minorities and second-class citizens.
Unlike Jon Huntsman, most of us can’t afford to be a Republican. Unless of course, you don’t want equal rights, first class citizenry or the right to employment and housing. Think about that, before you ‘evolve’…
- Former Utah Governor Huntsman Gets into 2012 GOP Race, Says He ‘Would Respect’ NY Marriage Equality Passage: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Huntsman’s Gay-Rights Shakeup (thedailybeast.com)
- GOP Candidate Gets Second Dose Of Bad News On Home Turf (huffingtonpost.com)
- Working to build bridges in Utah after N.Y. Legalizes Gay marriage ()
- GOP Candidate Jon Huntsman Does Not Support Marriage Equality (lezgetreal.com)
- Huntsman Joins GOP Crowd of White House Wannabees (bilerico.com)
- Fox News’ Obsessed “Gay Indoctrination” (therainbowpost.com)
- Sean Hannity Asks Jon Huntsman if His Support for Gay Civil Unions is ‘Conservative’ Enough: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- A Religious Double-Standard for Mormons (atheistrev.com)
- Can a Mormon ex-Obama Appointee Who Kind of Likes Gays Win the GOP Presidential Nomination? (queerty.com)
- Why Huntsman Is Different (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- In Utah, a Lukewarm Homecoming for Huntsman (swampland.time.com)
- Huntsman, Romney both say they’d be competitive in earlier Utah primary ()
- Utah Grumbles: Huntsman Isn’t Mormon-y Enough (newser.com)
- Jon Huntsman; Republicans Best Choice In 2012 (fidlerten.com)
Opponents of the modern American family and civil rights are regrouping after being defeated in New York, which recently passed legislation allowing marriage for all citizens in their state. However, these bigoted hate groups are using their defeat to scare American’s into donating to their cause by publishing fact-less anti-gay claims, using pseudo-scientific data by disreputable ‘scientific’ studies and lying to American’s that their own marriages are threatened.
Less than 24 hours after the New York Senate’s vote, made possible by four Republican defections, a leading anti-same-sex-marriage group started sending out defiant pleas for money.
“This fight is far from over,” the [SPLC Hate Group] National Organization for Marriage told supporters as it pledged to spend $2 million in 2012 to defeat New York’s four “turncoat senators” who “betrayed marriage.”
The organization, which says it expects to raise $20 million this year from Roman Catholic and evangelical Christian groups as well as individual donors, is gearing up for intense battles over same-sex marriage in several other states. So far, voters in 29 states have adopted constitutional amendments banning it.
Since the vote, the Family Research Council [another SPLC Hate Group], one of the largest conservative Christian advocacy groups, started hearing from more followers who wanted to defend traditional marriage, and officials said they expected a jump in donations.
“More than ever before, people are seeing this as a national issue,” said Tom McClusky, senior vice president of the council.
Battles for human rights and the rights of modern American families continue to heat up in Maryland, New Hampshire, Maine, and Minnesota where anti-American hate groups plan to dump millions of dollars in media blitzes selling their lies to an unsuspecting public.
- After New York: The (Near) Future of Gay Marriage (swampland.time.com)
- Why extremist base politics are the real obstacle to U.S gay rights (theglobeandmail.com)
- New York Senate Passes Same-Sex Marriage Bill; Governor Signed Before Midnight (themoderatevoice.com)
- APPROVED: Same Sex Marriage Bill Passes In NY (dabxblogger.com)
Rush Limbaugh implies that marriage has always been important to conservatives, but liberals who in the 60′s saw marriage as old fashioned have only taken up the cause for marriage since ‘the gays’ wanted to get married.
However, as a ‘leader’ of the conservative movement, Limbaugh has been married four times, busted for drug abuse and doctor shopping, and in 2006 busted again for smuggling prescription drugs back into the country. Clearly the right wing conservatives don’t care about marriage or drug abuse. In fact the only conservative values they favor are values that hold them above morality or the law. Thank God the Liberals are carrying the torch of decency, equality and fairness.
- Marriage as an Equal-Opportunity Institution (bilerico.com)
- Clergy Lead in New Referendum Drive for Gay Marriage Maine (queeringthechurch.com)
- Charlize Theron says marriage isn’t important to her (heatworld.com)
- Rick Santorum: Liberals Want Gay Marriage To Cheapen Marriage And Undermine Faith (alan.com)
- Gay marriage legalized in NY (notesfromthefunnyfarm.wordpress.com)
YPSILANTI, Mich. —
Austin Hendrix thought he would be free once he got to college.
There would be no more hiding the fact he’s gay, no more denying something that is as much a part of him as the color of his eyes. He could be himself, not the muted version he’d been presenting to the world, to his friends and his teammates in Eastern Michigan‘s track and cross-country programs.
That was the plan, anyway.
“I was new here. I didn’t know anyone on the team, I didn’t know anyone on the campus at all. So nobody knew that I was gay,” said Hendrix, whose wiry frame immediately pegs him as a distance runner. “I had to make the decision on whether or not to confide in my teammates, coach, classmates, whatever, that I was gay and tell them my sexuality, or just keep it a secret.
“You want to fit in, you want to have your teammates’ respect. And a lot of people are ashamed to come out because they think their teammates will think less of them.”
So Hendrix stepped back into the closet.
Only now it felt more like a prison.
- Coming Out: The story of openly gay athlete Austin Hendrix (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- Gay NCAA track athlete finds acceptance (theglobeandmail.com)
- Midwest Advances LGBT Equality: Springfield,IL Elects Openly Gay Council Member (releasedorothy.wordpress.com)
- E. Michigan runner no longer ‘consumed by hiding my sexuality’ (nbcsports.msnbc.com)
When an Apostolic Christian employee began screaming and harassing a lesbian employee at Walmart, Walmart took action when ended in termination for the harasser. As expected, the ‘Christian’ sued Walmart claiming her religious rights were violated. Last time I checked, bigoted remarks and discriminatory behavior weren’t part of Sunday School, but perhaps I was sick that day. Anyway:
“Over the next three months, Wal-Mart investigated the incident by interviewing and obtaining statements from employees who were present during the conversation. In her statement, Amy reported that Matthews was ’screaming over her’ that God does not accept gays, they should not ’be on earth,’ and they will ’go to hell’ because they are not ’right in the head.’ Five other employees confirmed that Matthews had said that gays are sinners and are going to hell.”
By the way… Maybe it’s time to go back and shop at Walmart and skip the anti-gay contributing Target Corp next time I’m out and about…
- Wal-Mart’s right to fire anti-gay employee upheld (queerlandia.com)
- Walmart Wins Court Case For Defending Lesbians (lezgetreal.com)
- “Wal-Mart Need Not Accommodate Religious Belief In Admonishing Gay Fellow-Employees” and related posts (religionclause.blogspot.com)
- Walmart Workers Cannot Tell Gay Colleagues They Are ‘Going To Hell’ Based On Religious Beliefs: Court (queerty.com)
- Court: Anti-Gay Christian Bigot Not Protected by 1964 Civil Rights Act (towleroad.com)
During a recent promotion of GaGaVision, Lady GaGa encountered a right-wing fire and brimstone protestor. After introducing herself to the protester, he says that Lady GaGa’s “pervert ways….the homo stuff” is going to send her to Hell… He was kind enough to print and provide her with a ‘Get out of HELL’ free card…
- Lady Gaga responds to an Anti Gay Protestor + Judas News (popspoken.wordpress.com)
- The Return Of GaGavision! (perezhilton.com)
- Gaga Announces “Judas” Release On Gagavision! (q104.radio.com)
- The next new YouTube: Google’s opportunity to own media (venturebeat.com)
The announcement came the same day as Marriage Equality Rhode Island, a gay-marriage advocacy group, said that the Newport Democratic City Committee had voted recently to endorse gay-marriage legislation.
Rhode Island AFL-CIO President George Nee called the discussion of same-sex marriage a “fundamental civil-rights issue.”
He cited a 2004 General Accounting Office report that showed that there are 1,138 federal civil statutory rights and responsibilities associated with the word “marriage” to which Rhode Island same-sex couples are now denied.
- Big Endorsements for Marriage Equality Make for Another Banner Week in Rhode Island (pinkbananaworld.com)
- C.U., bye: Rhode Island Congressman makes the full marriage switch (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Montana Public Employees Join National, State AFL CIO (iflizwerequeen.com)
- Rhode Island Gears Up To Talk About Marriage Equality (news.change.org)
- Rep. Jim Langevin Says Rhode Island Should Recognize Full Marriage Equality (news.change.org)