8: A Play about the Fight for Marriage Equality
I just finished watching Dustin Lance Black‘s play “8″ which was streamed live on YouTube. Since the public has never had the opportunity to view the video footage of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals review of the Prop 8 trial (anti-civil rights organizations have fought to prevent it from being aired) this play is even more powerful. I especially liked the theme that they were putting “Fear and Prejudice on Trial”.
Streamed live on Mar 3, 2012 by AmericanEqualRights
Featuring an all-star cast including George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Martin Sheen, Jamie Lee Curtis, Jane Lynch, Kevin Bacon and others, “8″ is a play written by Academy Award winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black and directed by acclaimed actor and director Rob Reiner. It is a powerful account of the case filed by the American Federation for Equal Rights (AFER ) in the U.S. District Court in 2010 to overturn Proposition 8 [LINK], a constitutional amendment that eliminated the rights of same-sex couples to marry in the state of California. Framed around the trial’s historic closing arguments in June 2010, 8 provides an intimate look what unfolded when the issue of same-sex marriage was on trial.
Here’s the full length play published on You Tube with video clips of the arguments.
- Watch Party! Live Reading of Dustin Lance Black’s “8″ Tonight 7:45pt (my.firedoglake.com)
- Brad Pitt joins Dustin Lance Black’s ’8′ (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Watch a star-studded reading of the play ’8′ live on YouTube this Saturday night (youtube-global.blogspot.com)
- Dustin Lance Black: Full ’8′ Cast Revealed! (justjared.buzznet.com)
- George Clooney, Brad Pitt Team Up for Prop 8 Play [Live Stream] (inquisitr.com)