Is America Ready for a Utah Mormon Republican Pro-Gay Civil Union Candidate?
Just like cavemen, Jon and the Republican party are trying to evolve (well, whenever it’s politically advantageous to do so…).
[Jon]Huntsman has voiced his support for civil unions and other equality measures such as non-discrimination protections for members of the LGBT community. However, he has not gone so far as to endorse full marriage equality and he supported a 2004 measure that added an amendment to the Utah constitution banning same-sex marriages.
“I am where I am on civil unions. Some will like it. Some will not … We have not done an adequate job in terms of equality and fairness where it comes to reciprocal beneficiary rights,” Huntsman told talk-show host Sean Hannity.
As public opinion sways toward supporting pro-LGBT legislation, more and more Republicans are coming out in support of civil unions, non-discrimination laws and a more equal taxing structure, Clarke Cooper, the executive director of the Log Cabin Republicans, said.
Is America’s LGBT community ready to throw it’s weight behind a Mormon Republican whose ideals are ‘evolving’? And should we be?
In the Great State of Utah where morality is issued from a small one block section in the center of downtown Salt Lake City, Jon Huntsman was a moderate light at the end of a very dark tunnel for the LGBT community. He supported fair-mindedness. A virtue often unavailable in an extremist political and religious culture that permeates the local Utah mentality.
As a multi-billionaire Governor in a small state, Huntsman never did enough to advance the human rights of the LGBT community. He may have provided fair-minded rhetoric when politically advantageous, but he never put those dollars of his to work. There’s no LGBT Huntsman Center, or Huntsman Act for non-discrimination or marriage equality. This is a man who clearly had the political and financial clout to change the course of equal rights in this state, yet NEVER put his money where his mouth is…
As you begin forming opinions about candidates for President of this great country. It’s important to remember that we’re not a democracy. We’re a Republic. As such, you don’t vote for a man, you vote for a party. Put your vote and your dollars to a party who represents your rights and the rights of other minorities and second-class citizens.
Unlike Jon Huntsman, most of us can’t afford to be a Republican. Unless of course, you don’t want equal rights, first class citizenry or the right to employment and housing. Think about that, before you ‘evolve’…
- Former Utah Governor Huntsman Gets into 2012 GOP Race, Says He ‘Would Respect’ NY Marriage Equality Passage: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Huntsman’s Gay-Rights Shakeup (thedailybeast.com)
- GOP Candidate Gets Second Dose Of Bad News On Home Turf (huffingtonpost.com)
- Working to build bridges in Utah after N.Y. Legalizes Gay marriage ()
- GOP Candidate Jon Huntsman Does Not Support Marriage Equality (lezgetreal.com)
- Huntsman Joins GOP Crowd of White House Wannabees (bilerico.com)
- Fox News’ Obsessed “Gay Indoctrination” (therainbowpost.com)
- Sean Hannity Asks Jon Huntsman if His Support for Gay Civil Unions is ‘Conservative’ Enough: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- A Religious Double-Standard for Mormons (atheistrev.com)
- Can a Mormon ex-Obama Appointee Who Kind of Likes Gays Win the GOP Presidential Nomination? (queerty.com)
- Why Huntsman Is Different (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- In Utah, a Lukewarm Homecoming for Huntsman (swampland.time.com)
- Huntsman, Romney both say they’d be competitive in earlier Utah primary ()
- Utah Grumbles: Huntsman Isn’t Mormon-y Enough (newser.com)
- Jon Huntsman; Republicans Best Choice In 2012 (fidlerten.com)